Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I Wish The Season Were Open Now

As far as my club is concerned [said Henry Lucas,] I now have fourteen men under contract and everyone of them has assured me that they will stick by their contracts. Dunlap and Schaffer have both written me expressing surprise at Corcoran's action, and authorizing me to contradict all stories to the effect that they are not coming here to play. Schaffer says if anybody thinks he won't be here I can bet $500 that he will, and draw on him at sight for the money. Sullivan has just engaged two men that I think well of-Scott and Roche. He says he brought out Comiskey, and he thinks Scott fully as promising as Comiskey was. I wish the season were open now. I am impatient to see the boys at work and the balls flying about.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, January 13, 1884

No comments: