Friday, April 2, 2010

The 1876 Brown Stockings: Playing A Club From Jack Kerouac's Hometown


The St. Louis Browns played the Lowells [on September 14, in Boston,] and won the game by the close score of 7 to 6. Battin pitched and McGinley caught.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, September 15, 1876


Lowell certainly has a rich baseball history but I always associate the town with Kerouac. I always knew that Kerouac was a baseball fan but the extent of his love for the game has received more attention in the last year or so.

And just for those who are wondering, we've only got six League games left to cover as far as the 1876 Brown Stockings are concerned, four against Hartford and two against Boston. The 1876 season is quickly coming to a close and, theoretically, I could wrap it up in a week. Don't know if I will or not but this little project is just about finished. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next but I know that I'm going to keep covering the 1876 Browns into their off-season. I think I have notes on games into October and some information from November, so we have that to look forward to.

No comments: