Sunday, March 21, 2010

The 1876 Brown Stockings: Oh, Canada


The splendid pitching of Goldsmith, together with loose outfielding by Pike and Cuthbert, enabled the Tecumseh Club of [London, Ontario] to defeat the Browns today [10-9]...The Manager of the Browns offered Goldsmith liberal terms to join them for the balance of the season, which were refused.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, August 29, 1876


After finishing their series against the Chicagos, the Brown Stockings headed to Canada to play a few exhibition games as they worked their way to New York for a League game on September 5. In this particular game, they were down 9-6 before scoring three runs in the bottom of the eighth to tie it up. The Tecumsehs scored one in the top of the ninth to win it.

As I'm still a little bitter about the gold medal hockey game, I want you to know that it's taking a great deal of effort to refrain from taking shots at our Canadian friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike S said...

That wasn't necessary.

Jeffrey Kittel said...

I assume we're talking about the shot at Crosby. No, it wasn't necessary but I've said far, far worse things about Kris Draper and Kurt Maltby. And I've said far, far worse things to a couple of friends who are from Michigan, which I insist is part of Canada. But it's all in good fun. I love my Canadian brothers and sisters and congradulate them on their gold medal.