Friday, October 24, 2008

Ellick Writes About His Playing Days

In 1872 the R.E. Lee Club of New Orleans, of which I was a member, took a trip to St. Louis, Kansas City, and Chicago. In the former city we met the Empires, a local team, composted mainly of boys connected with the St. Louis Fire Department. Ex-Chief Sexton was their president. A year or so afterwards, I received a letter from the Empires, asking me to join them. I did so, and met with considerable success. In 1875 I was a member of the Louisville Eagles, being the first professional player Louisville ever had; and from that time until 1884 (with the exception of two years which I spent in a local freight office in Kansas City) I was connected with a number of prominent clubs, both West and East. My last position of short-stop on the Chicago Unions, a team which I became manager towards the close of the season of 1884. In 1885 I resumed my position in the railroad office, but left it to go into business.
-Joe Ellick, writing in Lippincott's Monthly Magazine, October 1886


Ellick's piece in Lippincott's, in which he chronicles his travails as an umpire, is highly entertaining and well worth the read.

No comments: