When writing about the founding of the Missouri State Association of Base Ball Clubs, Tobias notes that there were “quite a number of clubs organized in the interior cities and towns” of
Veto-Tobias writes that the Empire Clubs’ anniversary game was played in 1868 “on the grounds of the Veto Club…”
Athletic-first mentioned by Tobias as having a club member on the State Association Judiciary Committee in 1868
Mutual-played a game against the Union Club on
The above clubs were mentioned as having been defeated by the Union Club in 1868. The
All the above clubs were mentioned by Tobias as intending to compete for the championship in 1869. The Lone Stars were a club “located in the Southern portion of the city.”
Olympic (ii)-In 1869, the Union Jr.’s broke away from their parent organization and formed the Olympic Club taking up the name after the old Olympic Club had broken up.
All of the above clubs were mentioned as being represented at one or more meetings of the State Association in 1869.
Washington University-first mentioned by Tobias as playing a match against the Unions on June 2, 1870; the club, composed of college students, was certainly active before this and probably as early as 1866.
St. Louis University-mentioned playing the Unions on
Bill Kelsoe, in A Newspaper Man’s Motion-Picture of the City, mentions that the nickname of the Wash U club was “the Olympics” and that SLU’s nickname was “the Pickwicks.” The rivalry between the two clubs was great and Kelsoe relates that Shepard Barclay, a former chief justice of the Missouri Supreme Court and member of the Union Club, told him that his fondest moment was when he pitched SLU to a victory over Wash U in a game on
Olympics of Carondelet-played a game against the Unions on
St. Louis Junior-“A new organization, named St. Louis Junior, was composed entirely of Mechanics, formerly connected with the
Pacific-mentioned as holding elections for officers in 1871.
Varieties-“a new club…that had been but recently organized (in 1871) and having for its foundation five seceeders from the Atlantic Club…”
Rival-played a game against the Empire Club on
Dodd, Brown & Co.
Crow, McCreery & Co.
Sam. C. Davis & Co.
“In the latter part of (the 1872) season base ball received quite an impetus through the inauguration of the early closing movement among mercantile and other business houses on Saturday afternoons, whereby the employees of a number of these firms were brought into organized clubs named after the firms by whom they were employed such as the (ones listed above). In those clubs some fine base ball talent was developed…” On the 1873 season, Tobias wrote that “(the) Mercantile community also took a deeper interest and more wide spread participation in the game and so numerous were the matches played by the representatives of business concerns that it will be impossible in this history to do more than give such games the briefest passing notice.” There is no telling how many clubs liked this existed in
Red Stockings-first competed for the championship in 1873; competed for the national professional championship in 1875
Stoddards-“an entirely new club of young representatives of the solid families of the city” who first began play in 1873
Modocs-played a game against the Atlantics on
Niagara-first mentioned playing a game against the Turners on
J.B. Sickle & Co.
Burns & Deguan
All of the above were mentioned by Tobias as having played games in August of 1873
National-“A new club entered the base ball fraternity (in 1874)…under the name of National and was composed of players from the former Independent, Olympic, Commercial, Eckford,
Independent-see above note.
Gymnasium-members of the Gymnasium Club played as a part of picked nine in a game against the Westerns of Keokuk on
Artisan-members of the Artisan Club were at a special meeting of
Lone Stars of Collinsille-played a game against the Niagara Club on
Home Bitters-see above note
Peerless-“On July 28 (1874), the Union Club defeated the Peerless at
Stocks-“The Stocks, as their name implies, was made up of livestock men, most of them residing in ‘Butcher Town’ north of Easton and west of Vandeventer avenue.” First mention playing a game on
White Stockings-“(A) consolidator of players from the Rowena and Jackson Clubs” who first played in 1874.
Brown Stockings-the National Association club made up of Eastern professional players that began play in 1875; moved to the National League in 1876 and disbanded after the 1877 season; remnants of the team would form an independent professional team in 1878, also called the Brown Stockings; two years later Chris Von der Ahe would become involved with the club and, by 1882, would have the team playing in the American Association.
Elephants-mentioned as a “prominent club that still existed in 1875 under the old amateur organization”
Besides the Elephants, Tobias mentions the Empire, Rowena, Atlantic, Olympic, Nationals,
Grand Avenues-a club organized in 1875 by August Solari; played its home games at the Grand Avenue Park; on the board of directors of the club that year was Chris Von der Ahe, later to become famous as the owner of the St. Louis Browns.