As its name implies, the Commercial Club was composed of young business men and had for its president W. W. Sanford and among its members now recalled were Wallace, B. Delafield, Edwin Fowler, Geo. Stroupe, L. Bogy, E. C. Simmons, T. Noonan and Obas. F. Gauss. E. H. Tobias was also a player in this club for a time until he resigned and joined the Empire Club. This club also was a sufferer from the war and though it had a number of good players and played some close matches with the Union, Empire, Cyclone and other clubs, it did not meet with any considerable success and soon after President Sanford took a commission as captain in the army the club disbanded.-E. H. Tobias, writing in The Sporting News, November 2, 1895
The Commercials were also mentioned by Merritt Griswold and Al Spink as one of the first clubs in St. Louis and one of those that were playing in 1860.