Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Base Ball Pioneers 1850-1870



Base Ball Pioneers 1850-1870 is now available for pre-order at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  The latest information that I have is that it will ship around the first week of April, with the possibility that it may come out a few weeks earlier than that.  I haven't gotten my hands on it yet but it's going to be a great book and I encourage you to pick up a copy.

I was lucky to have played a small part in the project and wrote the chapter on the St. Louis pioneer era.  In the chapter, I covered the history of the Cyclone, Morning Star, Empire and Union Clubs as well writing brief biographies of the members of each club.  We had some great editors working on the book and I think that the chapter turned out really well.  While regular readers of this site will be familiar with some of the information that I present, there is a great deal of new research that I included.  If you're interested in 19th century St. Louis baseball history, I don't think you'll find a better overview of the St. Louis pioneer era anywhere in print.    

I'm really looking forward to reading what everybody else has written and can't wait to get my hands on a copy.  I have no doubt that anyone who enjoys reading about the history of 19th century baseball will enjoy it as well.  As we get closer to the publication date, I'll have more information and hopefully an interview or two with some of the other contributors.  But I advise you to pre-order your copy today while supplies last.   

No comments: