Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Death Of Joseph Fullerton

An eastbound passenger train on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad...met with an accident two miles west of Oakland (Maryland) to-day, in which one passenger, General J.S. Fullerton, a St. Louis capitalist, is thought to have been killed, and a dozen others more or less badly injured.

The wrecked train, which left St. Louis yesterday morning and Cincinnati last night, was running at the rate of forty-five miles an hour when, just as the engine reached the bridge across the Youghiogheny river, two miles from Oakland, the baggage car, express car, one passenger coach and sleeper jumped the track and rolled down the embankment and into the river.  The pullman car broke in two, but it is thought that all the passengers save General Fullerton were rescued.

A thorough search has been made for his body, but nothing has been found except his clothing, which remained in the wrecked car, and it is almost certain that his corpse is in the shallow water under the debris and cannot be recovered until the car is removed.  The wounded were brought to (Cumberland)...

Personal telegrams from the scene of the wreck place the death of General Fullerton beyond a doubt.  Joseph Fullerton left (Washington, D.C.) a week ago in connection with the work of the Chickamauga National Military park commission, joined General Henry V. Boynton, at Chattanooga, Sunday.  He left there Tuesday for St. Louis, whee he remained until yesterday, when he took the ill-fated train.
-The Daily Picayune, March 21, 1897

Gen. Joseph S. Fullerton, who lost his life in the Baltimore & Ohio train wreck in Maryland to-day, was born about sixty years ago at Chillicothe, O.  He had distinguished family connections, and Mrs. Benjamin Harrison and Mrs. Rutherford B. Hayes were his first cousins.  He was educated at Oxford, O., and practiced law at St. Louis.  Shortly after the war broke out, he entered the service as a captain on the staff of Capt. Gordon Granger and served several years with conspicuous gallantry, participating at Chickamauga and other notable engagements.  During the regime of President Andrew Johnson he was postmaster at St. Louis.  President Harrison appointed him president of the Chickamauga Park commission and since then he has spent practically all of his time (in Washington, D.C.) engaged in that work.  He was prominent in the social and club life of both St. Louis and Washington, and was secretary of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland...
-The Milwaukee Sentinel, March 21, 1897

The search for the body of Gen. Joseph Fullerton of St. Louis, who was killed in the railway accident on Saturday, was resumed this morning at daybreak.  About 150 men are engaged in the work.  The Pullman car in which Gen. Fullerton met his death and under which his body is thought to be lying was removed from the river but up to mid-day no trace of the remains have been found.
-The Milwaukee Journal, March 22, 1897 

The body of General Joseph S. Fullerton of St. Louis, who was killed in the railway accident on the Baltimore and Ohio road near Oakland some weeks ago, was found in the Yiougheny river this morning, eight miles below the bridge where the accident occurred.  The body was found by a farmer who was duck hunting.
-The Galveston Daily News, April 10, 1897

This morning the body of the late Gen. Joseph Fullerton of St. Louis arrived (in Chillicothe, Ohio) accompanied by his brother, Humphrey Fullerton of St. Louis; Miss Madge Fullerton of Washington and the only daughter of deceased, a child 9 years old.

Gen. Stanley of Washington and Gen. H.V. Boynton, W.P. Hucksford, secretary of the senate Military committee, came on the same train.  After funeral services, conducted by the Rev. W.C. Stinson in the First Presbyterian church, the body was buried in the cemetery here.
-The Milwaukee Sentinel, April 12, 1897

No comments: