Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Commodore McDonough



Okay, it took me all of two minutes to find a couple of pictures of the Commodore McDonough, which I believe was Alex Crosman's first command.  

The real interesting thing here (besides Crosman being a member of the Cyclone Club and all that baseball stuff) is that the second picture shows the Commodore McDonough shelling James Island, South Carolina.  James Island is seperated from Charleston, South Carolina by the Ashley River and Wappoo Creek and just happens to be where I moved after getting out of college.  It was a nice place to live and work and the weather was great.  As an added bonus, I lived exactly four miles from Folly Beach and, as an employee of Charleston County, I got to play golf at the Municiple Golf Course for free.  

So not only was Alex Crosman eaten by sharks but during the Civil War he shelled the place that I would call home 126 years later.  

No comments: