Tuesday, December 18, 2012

It Looks Like We Have A Trend

In Consequence Of The Very Disagreeable weather last Sunday, the Picnic of the Hope Base Ball Club has been postponed till Sunday, July 30, 1865.  Ample preparations have been made for the accommodation and enjoyment of all our guests on the occasion.  Tickets of 16th inst. remain good.
-Missouri Democrat, July 22, 1865


If I had been better organized, I would have put all these picnic notes in one post and wrote something about the social nature of a baseball club.  But that's not how I work.  I'm rather unorganized and usually just hunt around 19th century newspapers until I find something interesting to post.  Lately, I've been going through the Civil War-era Missouri Democrat and writing up posts as I find good stuff.

Anyway, it looks like the baseball club picnic was a trend in St. Louis during 1865.  And that really is rather interesting and sheds some light on what it was like to be a member of a baseball club in the city during that period.  

No comments: