Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Trick McSorley Released By The Browns


Trick McSorley, the substitute player of the Brown Stockings, was released yesterday [June 4] by President Von der Ahe to the Memphis Club, where he will play short or third, and will probably manage the team.
-Sporting Life, June 9, 1886


McSorley's last game in the big leagues was May 6, 1886, against Pittsburgh.  He went 0-3 in his final game in with the Browns.

But this post is really just an excuse to show off this picture that was given to me by Lynn McSorley, the granddaughter of Trick McSorley.  I got to meet Lynn this weekend at the Cardinals' Winter Warm-Up and she was kind enough to give me all the files she had on her grandfather.  I can't tell you how great it was to meet Lynn and talk to her about her grandfather, who is one of my favorite 19th century ballplayers, as well as her and her family's efforts in researching his baseball career.  I'm honestly humbled and honored that she entrusted me with all the information that they had put together over the years.  

No comments: