Though St. Louisans have had a first-class base ball club for two years, a suitable resort for the players and their friends has been lacking until now. Last night base-ball headquarters were established permanently by Mr. George McManus, the manager of the Brown Stockings, at the southeast corner of Sixth and Locust streets. The place has been tastefully fitted up with a view to the comfort of the players and the friends of the club. The New York Clipper, New York Mercury, Philadelphia Sunday mercury, Boston Herald, Chicago Tribune, St. Louis Globe-Democrat, and other newspapers will be kept on file, so that all who desire to keep themselves posted in regard to base ball matters free of cost can do so. Desks and writing materials can be had for the asking, while those who desire to enjoy themselves at the card table will be accommodated. Mac has established a much-needed institution, and the fraternity will appreciate his enterprise, during the winter months at least.
-St. Louis Globe-Democrat, November 26, 1876